This cute little mini album is the result of my endless hours on Pinterest! The pages follow a video tutorial from Ginger at mysisitersscrapper and the binding idea on the spine is from a video by Suzy at creativecafegirl.
When making my pages, I changed the dimensions just a bit from the original. Using an 8 ½” x 11” sheet of cardstock I cut six (6) sheets down to 8 ½” x 10”. The score lines were as follows: On the 10” side score the sheet in half at 5”. Turn the sheet over and on the 8 ½” side score at 2 ½”. After pre-folding each sheet I then cut a decorative edge with my Martha Stewart edge punch for the top of each pocket. The pages are bound with Laura Denison’s Stack the Deck system.
One of the reasons it took so long to complete this book was I wanted to figure out how to add the paper to the spine and not have it crack, because that really bugs me. I tried a new technique that I found on Pinterest by Suzy at creativecafegirl. Rather than using just a piece of cardstock to connect the front, back and spine of the books, she used a piece of sticky back canvas attached to the cardstock to help create the binding. My stash of stuff only had regular canvas, so I glued some to my cardstock with Gel Medium. As you can see in my example below, I cut the canvas larger than needed before attaching my cardstock. When it was dry, I cut it the desired size. Like Suzy, I colored the canvas where it would show between the cover and spine, although I just used some black craft paint. What I did neglect to do was run the finished cardstock through my cuttlebug to emboss the cardstock. I’ll do that next time!
Creating the spine this way means that, for me, I had to pre-wrap my chipboard covers for a finished edge. I use thinner chipboard, so to ensure a sturdy cover I always glue two pieces together, so leaving these edges exposed was not an option for me. Here is a close-up of the inside of the front cover. You can see that each piece of chipboard is individually wrapped and you can also see in the gap between the cover and spine, the painted canvas.
The pages and tags are decorated with the Paper Studio’s Bella Bohemia paper pack and the edges are inked with Vintage Photo Distress ink.
The finished book measures 6 ¾” x 5 ¼” x 2”. Let’s get on with the show!
I tried my hand at adding something to the front covers, which for me, seems to be very difficult to do! The flower was made using the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die and Pure Luxury 80 lb. layering weight card stock in Ivory, while the greenery was made with a spellbinders die and scraps of green cardstock from my stash.
As you can see, there are a TON of tags in this book, 22 in all! That should give anyone plenty of room to document the important times in their lives. There are a total of 6 large tags that slide into the top of each page and measure 4” wide x 5 ½” tall. Eight of the pages have tags that measure 3 ½” wide by 5” tall and four of the pages hold two tags each that measure 3” wide by 5” tall.
Thank you all for stopping in to see my handiwork. I hope you enjoyed your stay. Leave a comment is you see something you like.