One of the hot DIY topics for Christmas this year are glitter ornaments, and of course the sparkly bling got my attention. An even bigger attention getter is the fact the glitter is on the inside. Well, since it is November 19, 2012 the height on Christmas decorating season, I do not have the extra cash to spare to purchase brand new clear ornaments. The better thought would be to refurbish older less attractive glass ball ornaments!
This past weekend our local Goodwill store had about 10 different boxes of glass ornaments in all different shapes and sizes. Since I didn’t know for sure how to remove the paint from the inside, I only purchased a single box of small ornaments. Since there were only 8 of the possible 10 ornaments in the box, it only cost 99 cents.
Wait, 8 you say?? I only count 6 in the box. Well, that’s because I didn’t think to take a picture of it until after I had already worked on two of them. LOL Six ended up being the final count anyway as I broke one getting the top off and the other in the cleaning process.
The Internet is a fascinating place, you can find almost any type of information out there with a few simple key strokes. I found two different ways to remove the paint from the inside of these glass balls. There were no comparison pictures of the different techniques, so I wasn’t sure which would work better, so I had to try them both to see for myself. Both called for the use of bleach, but while one said to add dried rice, the other suggested the use of salt.
Before I go any farther, I must add this warning, although it should be a rather “DUHHH” moment. Because you are using liquid bleach in this project, there is an extremely HIGH chance that you will get some on your clothing. It’s not a matter of IF, it’s a matter of WHEN. So please, wear old clothing that you will not mind if it is ruined. Trust me, I now have little pin point spots of bleach on an old pink T-shirt.
The first combination I tried was bleach and rice. (Along with the warning for your clothing please do this in a well ventilated area, preferable over the kitchen sink.) As you can see in the image below, this did not work very well. I shook the ornament for about 5 minutes and this was the result…not pretty!
With this result I really didn’t hold out much hope for the second combination, bleach and salt, BUT I was surprised. After the same 5 minutes of shaking, the following image is what I saw.
WOW! What a happy surprise!
Now there was also another surprise while working with the first ornament. I will be the first to admit I know nothing about how glass ornaments are created other than there is paint on the inside. What I did not know was there is only silver paint on the inside. The color, (in my case, blue, purple and red), is only on the outside, with an almost plastic type coating. As you can see in the image below it peeled off in sheets under warm running water. It was fascinating really.
I let these sit for a few days to dry completely before moving onto the next phase of construction.
Stay tune for part 2.